Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Top 100 Players in the NBA: 100-81

From time to time, I find that I go through a writing dry spell: I want to write (or in this case, blog) and I have the time to do so, but I can't or don't. It's not exactly writer's block, which is more of a "block" on my creativity. No, it's just that I can't seem to write a quality piece of work worthy of the obviously important topic of which I wish to write. (Say that 5 times fast). But what is a blogger to do in order to keep my flock of rabid fans happy while going through said "lack of quality" times?

The answer to this question is a long used writing technique that professional writers have used since the days of cave drawings: canned articles. That's right, I've got a couple of articles/lists (you know I love lists)/essays that were written during times of excess creativity and quality of work (if I do say so myself) and have been tucked away for such a time as this. At the moment I have multiple items of great interest on which to write about but for one reason or another, can't seem to fill said article/essay/list with acceptable writing.

So here's the first part of a sports related list that I came up with. It will be published in installments during "lack of quality" periods. Please enjoy.

"The Top 100 Players in the NBA"
This list is pretty self explanatory. These are the best 100 players in the NBA right now. This is not "The 100 Most Potentially Great Players in the NBA" or "The Top 100 MVP Candidates in the NBA" or "The Top 100 Team Players in the NBA." It's just the top 100, based on talent, level of play, etc. Nothing more, nothing less, take it as you will.

100-81
100. Raja Bell, Suns
I considered a couple of other defensive minded players, Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen, for this spot but Bell contributes more offensively than either of the others.

99. Sam Cassell, Clippers

98. Troy Murphy, Pacers

97. Drew Gooden, Cavs
Gooden’s basketball IQ is that of a thumb tack but he still manages to put up 12 points and 8 boards year after year.

96. Samuel Dalembert, 76ers

95. Stephon Marbury, Knicks
This guy is losing it fast but he’s still an amazingly talented player.

94. Nenad Krstic, Nets

93. Monta Ellis, Warriors
His numbers are great but they are due in part to the system he plays in and I wonder if he’s already hit his peak.

92. Grant Hill, Suns
If not for a ridiculous number of injuries Hill would be one of the top 10 players of all time.

91. Mike Bibby, Kings
I’m waiting to see how he comes back from injury. He was probably in the top 50 until last season during which he looked terrible.

90. Mike Miller, Grizzlies

89. John Salmons, Kings

88. Rudy Gay, Grizzlies
When he’s motivated there are very few players in the league more talented than Gay.

87. Al Harrington, Warriors

86. Jerry Stackhouse, Mavs
Not nearly the player he once was but still a real threat.

85. Hedo Turkoglu, Magic

84. Mehmet Okur, Jazz

83. Andrew Bogut, Bucks
I still think when the Bucks figure out how to use this guy he will live up to his number one pick status.

82. Cuttino Mobley, Clippers

81. Lamarcus Aldridge, Blazers

No comments: